Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA) is the peak national organisation for Australians personally affected by breast cancer. We empower, inform, represent and link together people whose lives have been affected by breast cancer. BCNA represents more than 70,000 individual members and 300 Member Groups from across Australia.
BCNA’s Seat at the Table program is an internationally recognised program that recruits, appoints, trains and supports breast cancer survivors as consumer representatives. Seat at the Table Consumer Representatives are actively supported by BCNA throughout their appointment. Feedback is sought from the women, and clinicians involved, to inform evaluation and program development.
BCNA Consumer Representatives have worked together with scientists, researchers, clinicians, health service providers and planners since 2000 to improve the provision of services to those affected by breast cancer. The program currently has more than 75 trained Consumer Representatives including women with secondary breast cancer.
Consumer Representatives can contribute to the work of committees by:
• representing women with breast cancer to ensure their voices are heard
• assisting with trial ethics and consent documents
• supporting applications for research funding
• assisting with recruitment for scientific trials
• raising awareness of research amongst women and the public
program successes include:
• the assistance of a BCNA consumer representative in the writing of information for patients considering participation in the Royal Australasian College of Breast Surgeons SNAC1 trial, which helped to make the trial a fantastic success
• BCNA Consumer Representative on the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists – Quality Use of Diagnostic Imaging Program Management Committee received the College’s ‘Distinguished QUDI Service Award’
• National Breast Cancer Foundation EMPathy Breast Cancer Network Management Committee
• Cancer Australia Working Group on the management of central nervous metastases in women with secondary breast cancer
• Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre NHMRC Translation of PALB2 genetic information into breast cancer genetics services
This poster will present information on how BCNA’s Seat at the Table program operates, key successful Consumer Representative appointments, and current appointments.